Portfolio

6 Mar 2011

Pissing in the river.

This week  has been quite slow but with a few very nice moments and good news too, which has given me a wee boost.

I'm really excited about some of my ideas now. I can see things forming in new ways. They seem to come from a more mature place but carry a fun element. I just think I'm understanding a lot more now - about what I'm working with and also how I work with them.

The studio seems to be quite busy with a lot of great ideas kicking about. I think the crit is going to be a good one, I can't wait to see what everyone's been working on.  Fingers crossed I can get what I want to show finished for it.

The sun has been out this week, It makes me smile. I've been wearing my canvas shoes. It feels so nice to walk around feeling the ground beneath me. I think I've really needed that feeling.

Yesterday I cleaned... A LOT! I enjoy cleaning, it helps me think but I can also get quite obsessed. Never the less I went for it yesterday. It was almost as though I was cleaning out my mind of all the shit blocking any real flow. Steph has been quite ill this week so I've been 'nurse Laura' too. Sorting all our stuff out has helped her too. She hates cleaning. We have quite a large room in the flat we share just now. Its huge, we have like our own floor so it kinda feels like we have our own house again. I miss our old house. Anyway I sorted out our room into sections. I made Steph her own work area, she's always complaining my cameras are all over the place. So now she has the whole desk for writing. I also organised our books, Made a wee library of sorts. I made myself a work area but its' more about having all my materials in one place and wall space to look at my work. I'm trying to get out this bedroom studio routine. The next two weeks are going to be about getting out and into the studio and things.

Today is all about getting myself organised for tomorrow. I wanted to get my mind straight so this week can be busy and hands on without to much questioning. I also wanted to update my blog so I could get all my thoughts out and carry on. Job done *tick*

Steph has been reading some Kathy Acker and thought I would really like her work. I do. Its tremendous but quite difficult to read, both in subject and style.


"I'm no longer a child and I still want to be, to live with the pirates. Because I want to live forever in wonder. The difference between me as a child and me as an adult is this and only this: when I was a child, I longed to travel into, to live in wonder. Now, I know, as much as I can know anything, that to travel into wonder is to be wonder. So it matters little whether I travel by plane, by rowboat, or by book. Or, by dream. I do not see, for there is no I to see. That is what the pirates know. There is only seeing and, in order to go to see, one must be a pirate."
Kathy Acker

I am listening to Patti Smith today. Here she is live with 'Pissing in the river':

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog by accident, and I'm amazed... especially about this post: Kathy Acker, Pissing in a river, your way to tell your life. That's just what i needed to read today. Thx. ;)

    ReplyDelete